Sunday, February 28, 2010

50 WORD STORIES

There is a competition somewhere for writing stories of exactly 50 words. I know because years ago the editor of the Narrabri newspaper, The Courier, told me there was. Like him I have been fascinated with these stories ever since. As a teacher I often set this as an exercise for students. Produce a story in 50 words. Exactly 50 words. Not a few more, nor a few less, but exactly 50 words. Its a challenging exercise (and for people who don't particularly enjoy reading, a chance to read a lot of stories) and it teaches students what are the essential elements of a good story.

Here is an example of one I wrote:


The bats were all huddled in the cave for the night. Roger arrived late and was all covered in blood, cuts and bruises.

"What happened to you" the others asked.

"See that big tree near the entrance to the cave" Roger replied

"Yes" they answered.

"Well I didn't" sighed Roger.



OK now your turn to try it. Email me a story, and at some time I'll put a couple on here: shore.rob@hotmail.com

If you want to find the competition or more stories here is one link: http://fiftywordstories.com/2009/07/20/news-official-50-word-story-contest/

No comments:

Post a Comment